Do you find it hard to get out of bed every morning? Are there times in your day that your energy just seems to lag. If you find yourself reaching out for your second, or third cup of coffee and it's barely mid-afternoon, try reaching for an essential oil this time.
Essential oils can help invigorate your senses, and make you feel revitalized and energetic, leading to greater productivity. Used for thousands of years, essential oils are prized for their medicinal properties and pack a powerful punch in a small bottle! Only a few drops of these natural, potent aromatic compounds obtained from the flowers, leaves, seeds and bark of plants, can jolt you back on your feet when you're feeling depleted.
Let's face it, we've all felt low on energy at times. There are many underlying reasons for feeling this way, including high stress, lack of proper sleep, adrenal fatigue, emotional stress, low moods and more.
If you feel any of these symptoms below, you may be victim to low energy levels:
Usually steam-distilled or cold-pressed, essential oils are extracted from plants, and their medicinal and aromatic properties have incredibly amazing benefits. There are thousands of research studies vouching for the remarkable healing and therapeutic benefits of essential oils.
A study conducted at Ruhr University in Germany concluded that, "essential oils may affect a number of biological factors, including heart rate, stress levels, blood pressure, breathing, and immune function."
Referred to as "adaptogens" because of their ability to uniquely "adapt" to the needs of the person using the oil, an irritated person might feel calm after using an oil, and a person with low energy levels may feel uplifted using the same oil!
The aromatic molecular compounds in essential oils can pass right through the blood/brain barrier, directly affecting the areas in our brain that control feelings of stress, anxiety and mental fatigue.
So when you're struggling with low energy, essential oils when applied topically, or inhaled, are proven to uplift the mood, re-energize, and calm mental stress. Here are a few ways essential oils can help boost your energy levels:
If you're ready to put the pep back in your step, read on to discover the top 16 best essential oils for energy, revitalizing your senses, improving your mood and more!
Fresh, sweet, tangy and fruity, citrus oils such as orange, lemon, grapefruit, bergamot and lime are powerful energy boosters that can promote feelings of positivity and happiness and help dispel negativity.
When inhaled, the potent aromatic compounds activate the olfactory cells which directly communicate with the brain, which in turn signals the body to respond with elevated energy levels. What's interesting is that the effect is almost immediate - so as soon as you take a deep whiff you'll get an immediate wakeup call!
Orange essential oil smells just like, you guessed it, a fresh, tart, orange. With a powerful, uplifting aroma, orange oil has proven benefits for creating feelings of happiness that can improve energy levels. A study conducted at Mei University in Japan documented that when administered orange oil, patients were radically able to reduce the amount of antidepressant medications they were on.
1. Add to your diffuser: Need an immediate energy boost? Diffuse a few drops of orange essential oil to instantly uplift and improve concentration.
2. Inhale directly: Directly inhale orange oil to awaken the senses and re-focus on an important task.
Not as potent as orange oil, but with a sweet and tangy scent, lime oil is perfect to give you the kick you need, without being too overly powerful. According to Chinese Medicine, lime oil is known to promote energy flow in the body. It works really well for helping you to re-focus and concentrate after working or studying for long hours.
1. Add to your diffuser: Lime essential oil is perhaps best used in a diffuser to invigorate the mood. It also helps to cleanse the air while at it!
2. Inhale directly: Dealing with a high-stress situation at work or at home? Directly inhale lime oil and get the boost you need to get through.
Find premium quality lime essential oil at UpNature. GMO Free. No toxins. Unfiltered and undiluted. Therapeutic grade.
With a tart, sparkling, clarifying scent, grapefruit essential oil is an excellent stress buster and is very beneficial in reducing mental fatigue. In fact most citrus oils like grapefruit essential oil are clinically proven to normalize "neuroendocrine hormone levels and immune function," and were found to be "more effective than antidepressants."
1. Add to your diffuser: Perhaps best used in a diffuser, you will be blown away by how it makes you feel after a long day at work.
2. Apply topically: Add a few drops to a cotton ball along with a dab of a carrier oil such as jojoba oil (a light oil that is absorbed quickly into the skin) and rub the blend onto your wrists and neck.
3. Add to your shower: Need a quick energy boost? Add a few drops of grapefruit oil in your shower and cover the drain. Inhale deeply to get the full medicinal benefits.
Find premium quality grapefruit essential oil at UpNature. GMO Free. No toxins. Unfiltered and undiluted. Therapeutic grade.
There's nothing like the refreshing scent of peppermint! Minty oils like peppermint, eucalyptus and spearmint are excellent for increasing mental clarity, concentration and staying alert. Whether you use them to feel fresh in the morning, or to snap out off a mid-afternoon lull - potent and powerful, minty oils are incredibly versatile and will give you an instant caffeine-free energy boost when you need it!
Peppermint essential oil is an all-rounder when it comes to medicinal properties. It's active ingredient and high concentration of menthol contribute it to being a natural antibacterial, analgesic (pain reliever), antiviral and anti-fungal. Its strong, invigorating minty aroma makes it excellent for boosting both mental and physical vitality. It has not only shown to positively improve exercise performance but it can also help improve concentration and fight fatigue caused by overeating and sluggish digestion.
1. Add to your diffuser: Diffuse peppermint essential oil to help you stay alert and concentrate. Great for studying or delivering a project on deadline!
2. Apply topically: Add 1 drop of rosehip oil (excellent for facial skin) to 1 drop of peppermint essential oil and rub under the nose for an immediate wake me up. You can also apply it to the base of your neck and shoulders to maintain energy levels throughout the day.
3. Inhale directly: A brilliant stimulant, inhale peppermint oil before working out to feel energetic and less lethargic.
Find premium quality peppermint essential oil at UpNature. GMO Free. No toxins. Unfiltered and undiluted. Therapeutic grade.
Eucalyptus oil is another powerhouse of healing properties, and it's major compound cineole is attributed to having over a thousand research studies published in its name. A 2010 study documented that eucalyptus oil is an effective "anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, analgesic," and is also an "immune-stimulatory." Its ability to support a favorable immune response means that it can profoundly affect energy levels in the body.
1. Cold relief: If you're feeling fatigued from a cold and are congested, eucalyptus oil can help you get through your day. Add a few drops to a hot shower and cover the drain. Inhale the steam to open up your airways and uplift your mood at the same time!
2. Apply topically: Rub in a few drops of eucalyptus oil directly in your temples (careful not to get it in the eyes), wrists, feet and aching muscles and let the cool, tingling effect calm your muscles after a long day.
3. Inhale Directly: Take a deep breath directly from the bottle for an instant eye-opening pick me up.
4. Add to your diffuser: Diffuse a few drops and let the invigorating menthol molecules waft through the air providing instantly energizing aromatherapy.
Find premium quality eucalyptus essential oil at UpNature. GMO Free. No toxins. Unfiltered and undiluted. Therapeutic grade.
Feeling a fatigue attack coming on? Rosemary essential oil can help. A 2010 study in the Journal of The Neurological Sciences revealed that those who suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome have reduced cerebral blood flow. Rosemary oil contains 1.8 cineole and has shown to increase blood flow to the cerebrum, improving alertness. The oil is also an excellent stimulant and helps fight low energy.
A 2012 research study published in the Therapeutic Advances In Pharmacology journal documented that participants who inhaled rosemary essential oil improved cognitive abilities and felt more content.
1. Inhale Directly: Deeply inhaling rosemary oil directly from the bottle or from a cotton ball soaked in a few drops of the oil is the best way to get the most optimum benefits of the oil.
2. Add to your diffuser: Diffuse 4-5 drops of rosemary oil to eliminate mental fatigue and get the positive energy you need to get things done.
Add to your diffuser: Combine 1 drop of thyme essential oil with 1 drop of orange or lime essential oil and the combination works wonders to help you get going!
Find premium quality thyme essential oil at UpNature. GMO Free. No toxins. Unfiltered and undiluted. Therapeutic grade.
There's nothing like the fresh scent of basil when you're making a pesto - basil essential oil takes that to a whole new level. Naturally energizing, basil oil helps to stimulate the adrenal glands which makes it excellent for alleviating sluggishness, relieving mental fog, and even fighting chronic fatigue.
Add to your diffuser: Combine 3 drops of lemongrass oil with 2 drops of basil oil and 1 drop of peppermint oil to instantly invoke freshness and clarity and get in the zone.
Note: It is recommended that basil oil is not used by pregnant women.
Find premium quality basil essential oil at UpNature. GMO Free. No toxins. Unfiltered and undiluted. Therapeutic grade.
Apply topically: Mix 2-3 drops of lemongrass oil with 1 tsp. of jojoba or tamanu oil (amazing for skin) and massage into your temples. Great for a quick pre-workout energy boost to get you motivated!
Find premium quality lemongrass essential oil at UpNature. GMO Free. No toxins. Unfiltered and undiluted. Therapeutic grade.
Warm and spicy oils like cinnamon, ginger and frankincense can give you the kick you need to get motivated and get going. If you want to feel alive and alert - these spicy oils are for you!
Research suggests that cinnamon oil has shown promising effects for regulating blood glucose, and as irregular blood sugar levels can lead to cravings, irritability, gaining weight, and reduced energy levels, cinnamon oil can give you an instant energy boost when you're feeling both mentally and physically exhausted.
2. Add to your diffuser: Cinnamon oil not only makes the house smell great and festive but works well to curb emotional eating that can make you over-eat and feel sluggish.
Find premium quality cinnamon essential oil at UpNature. GMO Free. No toxins. Unfiltered and undiluted. Therapeutic grade.
1. Inhale directly: Deeply inhaling the hot aroma of ginger oil from the bottle is great for elevating energy levels, and works especially well for nausea or morning sickness. The scent of ginger oil can also help reduce appetite and cravings.
2. Apply topically: Combine 2-3 drops of ginger oil with 1 tsp. of a carrier oil such as moringa oil and rub into the feet. This is fast absorbed into the bloodstream and stimulates the senses, increasing vitality and energy levels.
Do you get that feeling of anxiousness at times? Or perhaps you get bouts of low energy levels coupled with low moods - if this is you, frankincense essential oil might be just what the doctor ordered. A gentle, subtle but powerful oil, frankincense might not be as strong as the citrusy and minty oils on our list but it has a lifting, lingering, long-lasting aroma that can have positive effects on the limbic system and balance your energy levels.
Rich in sesquiterpenes, molecules that can cross the blood-brain barrier, frankincense essential oil can help alleviate the unpleasant effects of both anxiety and depression helping boost energy levels.
1. Apply topically: Rub 1-2 drops of frankincense oil to your wrists, below the feet and on the neck. You can also dilute it with a carrier oil such as jojoba oil or argan oil (deeply moisturizing) and use as a full body massage oil to balance nervous energy and promote positive energy.
2. Add to your diffuser: Add a few drops of frankincense oil to your diffuser to help soothe, calm, balance and uplift your mood and energy levels.
Find premium quality frankincense essential oil at UpNature. GMO Free. No toxins. Unfiltered and undiluted. Therapeutic grade.
The warm and spicy scent of black pepper oil can enhance concentration and provide uplifting energy when you're feeling worn out and sluggish. It is known to improve circulation and is excellent to use as a pre-work out essential oil, to promote exercise performance.
1. Apply topically: Rub 1-2 drops of black pepper oil in the soles of your feet for instant warming energy flow. Alternatively you can mix 3-4 drops with 1 tbsp. of a carrier oil such as castor oil (an excellent anti-inflammatory) into your muscles before working out.
2. Inhale directly: The spicy aroma of the oil is strong enough to wake you up when you feel an afternoon slump coming on!
On a day when deadlines are fast approaching or you have an important presentation, open up your medicine cabinet and reach for pine oil to evoke feelings of energy and confidence.
Excellent for clearing out both physical and mental fatigue, pine oil invigorates, keeps you alert and promotes feelings of positivity.
Add to your diffuser: Diffuse 3-4 drops of pine oil to recharge your nervous system and feel empowered!
Probably one of the most popular and all-round essential oils, the scent of lavender oil can actually slow down the nervous system to promote relaxation. How does this help your energy levels you might ask? Well, since lavender oil can lead to calming down the body and mind, it not only helps in increasing concentration and focus but also improves mood. Lavender essential oil is also excellent for reducing stress and calming agitation which can leave you with a generous amount of extra energy. A well known sleep enhancer, lavender oil works especially well for insomniacs - and a better night's sleep is sure to make you feel fresh the next morning!
1. Inhale directly: Rub 3-4 drops of lavender oil in your palms, cup your hands to your face and breathe deeply. Within seconds, the aroma enters the amygdala, the brain's emotion control center, and provides immediate calm and relaxation.
2. Apply topically: When a tension headache strikes rub 2-3 drops of lavender oil on your temples. You can also massage it on the wrists and under the feet to promote quick absorption - great to get ready for a good night's rest.
3. Add to your diffuser: Diffuse 4-5 drops of lavender oil in the air when faced with a deadline or a stressful situation. This can calm the mind and allow for better concentration and improved energy levels to get on with a task.
Find premium quality lavender essential oil at UpNature. GMO Free. No toxins. Unfiltered and undiluted. Therapeutic grade.
Cedarwood oil is great for relieving stress and tension and has a calming effect on the mind. The aroma of cedarwood encourages the release of serotonin, which helps to stabilize moods. Cedarwood oil also stimulates the pineal gland and the brain's limbic region which promotes the release of melatonin. This helps you to fall asleep, improves your sleep quality, and makes you feel more energetic the next day.
1. Inhale directly: Inhale from the bottle or rub a few drops into your palms and cup your palms to your face and breathe deeply. You can also put 1-2 drops on your wrists or a handkerchief.
2. Add to your diffuser: Add a few drops in your diffuser an hour or so before you put the lights out to set the mood for a goodnight's sleep.
Find premium quality cedarwood essential oil at UpNature. GMO Free. No toxins. Unfiltered and undiluted. Therapeutic grade.
When you're tired and worn out and need to recharge, reach for an energizing diffuser blend to start or finish the day strong!
Try these amazing essential oil blends below and give your mind and body an immediate energy boost:
Need to get some spring cleaning done? Want everyone in the house to be on alert mode to accomplish a task? This is the perfect diffuser blend to get everyone to get up and get going - and it's excellent to clean the air in the house while you're at it!
Add the essential oils and necessary amount of water to your diffuser (follow the manufacturer’s instructions) and breathe away!
Feeling sluggish and fatigued? Can't find the energy to get out of bed? Try this bright and stimulating diffuser blend when you need to feel uplifted and ready to move on.
Need that extra push to make a deadline or just need to get the motivation to work out? Try this warm, spicy blend below!
2 drops Black Pepper Essential Oil
2 drops Lime Essential Oil
3 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
You know that refreshing feeling of pure, fresh mountain air that really wakes you up? Wrap that up and bring it home with this rejuvenating blend!
2 drops Lavender Essential Oil
2 drops Pine Essential Oil
1 drop Basil Essential Oil
Want to add energy to a festive gathering? Essential oils are excellent for adding energy and warmth when you have family and friends over. Try this blend to energize any occasion!
3 drops Cinnamon Essential Oil
2 drops Orange Essential Oil
1 drop Ginger Essential Oil
Essential oils are natural but powerful. Some people may develop an allergic reaction to any oil so it's always best to try a little by doing a small skin patch test on your arm or leg (never your face or neck) to make sure you don't have an adverse reaction.
If you're pregnant or nursing, or on any kind of medication please check with your doctor before using essential oils.
When buying essential oils make sure the bottle says 100% pure essential oil, and has the proper name of the species mentioned on the label of the bottle. Example for lavender: (Lavandula Hybrida Medicus). If you see the word 'fragrance' it almost always means there are other additives.
Ideally it's always best to buy essential oils from an organic source that are labeled as "Therapeutic grade," meaning they are free of toxins and chemicals and are unfiltered and undiluted.
Also beware of genetically modified ingredients and choose Non GMO essential oils.
There is no fixed recipe when it comes to essential oils and what might work for you might not work for someone else. Since we are all biochemically exclusive, it's best to experiment with a variety of essential oils, pay attention to your body, and find the "personal blends" that work most optimally for you.
What are your favorite essential oils for energy? Do you have any blends you use to energize and rejuvenate? Share in the comments below!